How to Save for Your Goal
Whether it’s your new year’s resolution or a long-time goal, achieving your dream takes dedication and a good plan. Here are five tips to help you stay on track and build your savings account.
1. Make your goal
- Be Specific. Don’t be vague when deciding your goal. Goals like “make more money this year” don’t translate to tangible steps. Instead, make goals like “getting an extra job,” or “not eating out as much so you can save money.”
- Make each step Measurable. Make goals that have clear markers to track your progress.
- Make the goal Achievable. Be realistic about what you can accomplish. For example, if you haven’t worked out in years, planning to run a marathon might not be possible. Instead, start small, like working out 10 minutes each day.
- Keep it Relevant. It’s best to concentrate on items that need the most improvement. That might mean starting a rainy-day fund before you get the car.
- Remember your Time. Set specific dates so that you can achieve them.
2. Chart your progress
Use a calendar and reminders to keep up with your savings goals. Visual reminders of your success can be a powerful motivator.
3. Don’t keep your resolutions to yourself.
It’s easy to fool yourself into thinking you’ve changed; it’s a lot harder to fool a friend. Pair up with a pal and commit to keeping each other in check. Share your resolutions and designate one day a week, or twice a month, as a check-in day, to note each other’s progress and give honest feedback.
4. Celebrate your wins
Don’t wait until you’ve reached your savings goal to celebrate your achievements. Reward yourself for the smaller goals you achieve along the way, like the first $1,000 you put away in your savings account. Celebrating your progress will give you the motivation you need to keep on improving.
5. Embrace imperfection
Learn to accept that perfection is a myth. You might have to use your emergency fund, but you can always build it back up. What counts is that you’re working towards your goals!
Savings are within your reach. Picking the right savings account can be just as important as the tips above. Choose an account with a high rate to help your savings grow, like our Name It Save It account! Or see our other savings account options.